Dinner Menu 1 continued...
NOTE: If your desired total for carbohydrates is less than 78 grams for the dinner meal, take away the top bun on your sloppy Joe and the carbohydrate total becomes 66 grams.
Simple Sloppy Joes (Beef Entrée)
This recipe uses many of the condiments and spices you may already have in your refrigerator and cupboard.
Makes 4 servings
1 pound sirloin or very lean ground beef
4 green onions, white and part of green, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup ketchup (low sodium if available)
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/4 cup chunky salsa
1/2 cup non-alcoholic beer (water or low sodium beef broth can be used)
Ground pepper to taste
4 100% whole-wheat hamburger buns or rolls
2 ounces or 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet or frying pan, cook beef with onions and bell pepper over medium-high heat, breaking up beef with a spoon or spatula, until vegetables are softened and beef is nicely browned (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- While meat and vegetables are cooking, combine garlic, paprika, catsup, mustard, salsa, and non-alcoholic beer or water in a medium bowl. When meat and vegetable mixture is ready, reduce heat to low and stir in the ketchup mixture. Let mixture simmer for a few minutes. Add pepper to taste.
- Spoon sloppy Joe mixture onto the bottom buns, top with shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, and then add the top bun.
Per serving: 350 calories, 31 g protein, 34 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 3 g monounsaturated fat, 3 g polyunsaturated fat, 72 mg cholesterol, 6 grams fiber, 599 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%. Omega-3 fatty acids: 0.3 gram; omega-6 fatty acids: 2.5 grams.
Dinner Menu 2
- Citrus salmon, 1 serving (see recipe below) with 1/2 cup orange segments as garnish
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice
- Grilled asparagus spears (5 spears lightly coated with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and grilled on indoor grill)
- Cup of hot or iced tea, water, or skim or 1% milk
Per serving (not including milk as beverage): 535 calories, 37 g protein, 57 g carbohydrate, 17.8 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 7 g monounsaturated fat, 6 g polyunsaturated fat, 83 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 71 mg sodium.
Calories from fat: 30%. Omega-3 fatty acids: 3.1 grams; omega-6 fatty acids: 2.3 grams.
Citrus Glazed Salmon (Fish Entrée)
This is a tangy salmon that is great served warm or cold. Salmon is one of the best food sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
Makes 3 (4-ounce) servings