If you have
gestational diabetes, you need to know when your blood
sugar level is outside the
target range. Fortunately, you can see what your blood sugar level is anywhere
and anytime by using a home blood sugar meter. Within a minute or two, you can
know what your blood sugar level is.
- Knowing your blood sugar level helps you
treat low or high blood sugar before it becomes an
- Knowing your blood sugar level also helps you know how
exercise and food affect your blood sugar and how much
insulin to take (if you take insulin).
- Checking your blood sugar helps you feel more in control of your
diabetes during your pregnancy.
- Four keys to success in monitoring
your blood sugar are:
- Keep your meter and supplies with you at
- Make it a habit to check your blood sugar level. Build
it into your routine.
- Prick the sides of your fingers, not the
tips. The tip of a finger is more sensitive than its sides.
your blood sugar meter's accuracy when you visit your doctor. Compare your
results with your doctor's results.
More information about the different types of diabetes
can be found in these topics: